What brings you joy in the summer? I wrote this article while on vacation in Fire Island, New York with my family. Besides enjoying the ocean and family vacation traditions, I was hoping to have some lazy mornings of sleeping later than my normal 5:00 am wake up time. At 5:15 am on our first morning I awoke to not only the sound of the ocean but the chirping of baby birds. The chirps continued to get louder and louder until I got up and found a bird’s nest right outside our window that was cleverly built under the peak of the house. Simple joys of summer…
As the week continued, the mother bird would visit and bring them their treats all day long. Every day was filled with simple joys. There were so many:
- My mother and daughter, Kaitlin going on a beach walk together every morning.
- My daughter Kira coming up with the yellow submarine idea for the annual 4th of July children’s parade and my brother Jamie and his daughter Kat designing it.
- My sister Terri, our inhouse gourmet chef, making every possible meal on the grill with simplicity and they were more delicious than any five star restaurant in Boston.
- Did I mention my daily 5:15 am wakeup call from the baby birds, who now showed me their sweet little beaks searching for food.
- Playing tennis with my daughter Kira and realizing how much patience she has and how my tennis improved from her suggestions.
- Seeing my husband Patrick and Kaitlin have so much fun together in the ocean.
- My niece Kelly with her big smile at breakfast and so happy that she woke up in time for Grandma’s French toast and bacon. I was smiling too!
- Having my high school friend Pam visit with her family and the reminder how important long term friendships are and the joy of catching up.
- Our annual tikki party with “Aunt”Carol. Carol is my sister’s friend who comes every year and is the amazing person that introduced us to Fire Island many years ago.
We ended up renting a new house this summer that was close to the ocean with incredible panoramic ocean views. As spectacular as it was, it reminded me how we often miss so many simple joys in life. I found myself sharing the baby bird update every morning. I would sit on the deck and watch the Momma bird get brave to visit her babies while I relaxed on the deck.
We really need to get away from the hustle and bustle of our daily life to reconnect with the simple joys of life. I learned a lot from these little birds and as we pack to go home, I will make sure I continue to focus on the simple joys of life.
Have a wonderful summer! Take the time for recharge and notice how many simple joys you can find!
Be Sociable & Share!